Pages

.

Chena Slough Update, Part 2

In Part 1, I mentioned what I saw as weaknesses in the State of Alaska Department of Natural Resources' (DNR) plan to eradicate elodea from the Chena Slough:
  • Seasonal flow patterns and disruptions
  • Drinking water wells
  • Organic gardening
  • No planned testing of well water and irrigation water
  • Risk of well water contamination
  • Public perception issues
Before we start, I want to make it clear that I think the best course of action for Chena Slough would be to "do nothing" for the elodea infestation at the present time. The slough is dying, removing the elodea will not change that, and could make it worse. The preferred solution would be an engineering project to dredge a new, deeper channel. Increase flow rates, build up the banks, improve flow characteristics by deepening portions and diverting from swampy side-flows.

If this was done, eradicating elodea should be part of the equation, even if it means using herbicide. As it stands, there are NO plans to improve the flow of the Chena Slough, but many state and federal agencies have shown an understanding and desire to do so.

Chena River King Salmon

[Keep reading...]

No comments:

Post a Comment